Best Practices for Facilitating Pediatric Clinical Trials: How to Recruit and Retain Patients : USB Audio Recording/Transcript
Pediatric clinical trials present their own unique challenges. Children are not simply mini-adults.
You need to understand the intricacies of pediatric clinical trials — how to finesse your pediatric clinical research skills.
Lisa Benson, BS, CCRP, CRCP and Janelle Allen, BS, MS, CCRP — both of the Institute of Advanced Clinical Trials for Children — will discuss how to be successful when dealing with the differences and challenges faced while conducting pediatric clinical trials. Over the course of 90 minutes they’ll help you understand how to:
- Develop study budgets specific to pediatric clinical trials, including recruitment and administrative costs attendant to pediatric trials
- Identify the challenges faced when conducting pediatric clinical trials, such as:
- Pediatric tactics of assent and consent
- Low recruitment to trials
- Rare diseases barriers
- Regulatory and ethical issues in pediatric clinical trials, including FDA guidance and best practices for dealing with children and their parents
- Strategies for successful retention of children in clinical trials
- Approaches to recruitment in pediatric research, including the pros and cons of using different forms of standard and social media
- Overcoming some of the challenges of long term follow-up in pediatric clinical trials, including record-keeping obstacles
Learn how to improve your skills and understand your roles and responsibilities when conducting research in the pediatric population.
Who Will Benefit
- Clinical Research Coordinators
- Research Nurses
- Research Administrators
- Principal Investigators
- Clinical Trial Managers
- Clinical Trial Directors
- IRB Staff
- Data Managers
- Clinical Trial Monitors
- Financial Analysts
- Budget Analysts
Meet Your Presenter:
Lisa Benson, BS, CCRP, CRCP
Lisa Benson is the Senior Vice President of Research, Education and Quality at the Institute for Advanced Clinical Trials for Children. Her focus is on external infrastructure development and working to establish best practices and common tools for pediatric clinical trials. In this role she leads educational programs and works to ensure engagement of patient, parents, children of all ages, and research staff in the Institute’s activities. She has extensive experience in site management and quality, inter-institutional collaborations and decision analytics. Ms. Benson has more than 30 years’ experience in pediatric clinical research and is regarded as a highly-respected research administrator and clinical research operations expert.
Janelle Allen, BS, MS, CCRP
Ms. Allen is the Director of Research, Quality & Education for the Institute of Advanced Clinical Trials for Children (I-ACT for Children) and a faculty member in the Department of Biology at Miami University. She also serves as a professional Clinical Research Consultant and Corporate Trainer. During the past 22 years, she has completed research on state-based care centers and services, developmental biology, neurophysiology and neurobehavior, quality engineering: analytical and quality product review, molecular cardiovascular medicine, infectious diseases, child behavior and nutrition, headache/migraine, and pain.