Center InformationEve Sakran, MJP, MS, CHRC
Holy Cross Health – Research Department
4725 North Federal Highway
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33308
Currently Enrolling Trials
Holy Cross Health is at the forefront of research in:
A member of Trinity Health, Fort Lauderdale-based Holy Cross Hospital, dba Holy Cross Health, is a full-service, non-profit, Catholic, teaching hospital operating in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy. Through strategic collaborations and a commitment to being a person-centered, transforming, healing presence, the 557-bed hospital offers progressive inpatient, outpatient and community outreach services and clinical research trials to serve as our community’s trusted health partner for life.
We seek to participate in and lead cutting-edge, unique research trials to advance the care of patients suffering from debilitating diseases.
We enlist the full support of the members of the hospital's medical staff and our nursing team in an extensive, interdependent, cooperative effort to generate new knowledge regarding management of disease and the maintenance of health.
The Research Institutes operate in accordance with the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services.
Some of our accomplishments to date include:
- Holy Cross Cancer Research was the only approved site in South Florida for the original Keytruda Melanoma immunotherapy study.
- Holy Cross Health was among the first sites selected to participate in the American College of Cardiology SMARTCare Program, which stands for Smarter Management And Resource use for Today’s complex cardiac Care Program. The program was designed to support physicians and stable ischemic heart disease patients in making decisions together about care based on the patient’s unique history and the latest treatment criteria.
- Since the Orthopedic Research Institute’s inception in 2010, the clinical research department has rapidly expanded and now conducts orthopedic clinical trials in such sub-specialties as knee, hip, elbow, shoulder, interventional spine and pain medicine, and physical therapy. The Research Institute is dedicated to performing high-quality, ethically sound, scientifically meritorious clinical research that will advance orthopedic treatment and patient care.
The Jim Moran Heart and Vascular Research Institute
The Jim Moran Heart and Vascular Research Institute is in a unique position to attract research studies evaluating the most advanced technology and therapies for heart and vascular disease. It continuously strives to expand its offerings with more clinical trials and potentially life-saving treatments to patients not available through current standard of care. By collaborating with industry, academic medical centers and other translational research institutions, the Jim Moran Heart and Vascular Center and Research Institute at Holy Cross Hospital are poised to be the preeminent heart and vascular providers in South Florida and a bridge for extending therapeutic advances to our patients and community.
The Michael and Dianne Bienes Comprehensive Cancer
The Michael and Dianne Bienes Comprehensive Cancer at Holy Cross Health in Fort Lauderdale in Broward County (South Florida) offers an extensive panel of research studies, or clinical trials, to those facing:
- Breast cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Lung cancer
- Melanoma (skin cancer)
- Multiple myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells)
- Leukemia (cancer of the blood cells)
- Other cancers
Orthopedic Research Institute
Holy Cross Health has been a leader in orthopedic surgery for over 30 years. Holy Cross was one of the first hospitals in the country to pioneer surgical procedures such as total hip arthroplasty, robotic-assisted knee surgery, all arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs, arthroscopic hip surgery and reverse shoulder replacement. Holy Cross was the first in the world to perform MAKOplasty® - robotic assisted partial knee replacement. Our surgeons have developed patented devices and techniques that have facilitated major advancements in orthopedic surgery. In November 2010, Holy Cross Hospital reinvigorated its commitment to innovative orthopedics by launching the Orthopedic Research Institute.
Phil Smith Neuroscience Institute
We are recertified as an ALS Certified Treatment Center of Excellence
The Phil Smith Neuroscience Institute at Holy Cross Hospital has been selected for the HEALEY ALS Platform Trial by the Sean M. Healey & AMG Center at Massachusetts General Hospital.
The Sean M. Healey & AMG Center, in collaboration with the Northeast ALS Consortium (NEALS), is launching the first platform trial for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The goals of this groundbreaking project are to greatly accelerate the timelines towards effective ALS treatments and provide greater trial access for all those affected by this disease.
“Our patients have access to first class research and leading-edge clinical trials and treatments at the Phil Smith Neuroscience Institute through our expanded relationship with Massachusetts General Hospital,” said Paul Papagni, JD, executive director of research at Holy Cross Hospital. “The HEALEY ALS Platform Trial will begin in early 2020.”
Sponsors and CRO’s
- Boston Scientfic
- Bristol Myers Squibb
- Duke Clinical Research Institute
- Eli Lilly & Co.
- Gilead Science, Inc.
- Medicines Co.
- Momenta Pharma
- Penumbra, Inc.
- Schering Plough
- St. Jude Medical
- Solvay Pharm
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals
Holy Cross Hospital contains one of the greatest concentrations of medical talent in South Florida. Our medical staff consists of more than 600 highly skilled physicians representing nearly every specialty in medicine. Their skills attract patients from around South Florida, across the United States and around the globe.
Since opening its doors, Holy Cross has grown to keep pace with the needs of the community it serves. The Hospital´s rapid growth has allowed us to advance with the dramatic improvements achieved in healthcare. Patient capacity has increased from 100 patients in 1955 to the 557 patients (inpatient) we are licensed to serve today.
Latest News from Holy Cross Health
Holy Cross Health Nationally Recognized with an ‘A’ Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade for Fifth Consecutive Session
Holy Cross Health Receives 2022 National Recognition for Stroke and Diabetes Programs
Holy Cross Health Nationally Recognized with Fourth Consecutive “A” Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade
Cancer Patients in South Florida Receive Benefits of Varian Ethos™ Therapy at Holy Cross Health
Artificial Intelligence (AI)-driven holistic approach provides advanced radiotherapy cancer treatment
Clinical trial research is driven by the selfless participation of patients and the commitment of our entire research staff and the following dedicated physician investigators:
- Felipe Albuquerque, MD
- Rishi Anand, MD
- Elias Collado, MD
- Irving David, MD
- Joshua Larned, MD
- Alexander Llanos, MD
- Laszlo Miskolczi, MD
- Karan Munuswamy, MD
- Joshua Purow, MD
- Daniel Weitz, MD
- Goerges Azzi, MD
- David Z Drew, MD
- Zdenka E Segota, MD
- Neil Nagovski, MD
- Gustavo j Alameda, MD
- Ross Wodicka, MD
- Kevin Wang. MD
- Martin W Roche Jr.,MD
- Nithya Mathai DNP, ARNP, FNP-C
- 25 years+ of Clinical Research Experience
- Team of Certified / Trained Clinical Research Coordinators.
- Fully Bilingual Staff
- Internal Unique Feasibility Assessments
- Proven Reputation with Established Sponsor Relationships
- Strategic Recruitment Plan Constructed for Each Protocol
- Ambitious Enrollment Efforts
- Expeditious Regulatory Submissions
- Established Rapport with Central IRBs
- Electronic Data Capture Experience
- Continuing Staff Education
- Proactive and Responsive Management Team
- Strategic Alliances with CRO’s and Sponsors
Holy Cross Health is just 20 minutes away from Ft. Lauderdale International Airport and able to provide the following:
- -20° Freezer
- Digital Vital Signs Monitors
- Fully equipped Laboratory
- Laboratory CLIA certified
- Blood Draw Stations
- Dedicated Refrigerators
- Dry Ice
- Double Locked Drug Storage with Min/Max daily temperature device
- Onsite file storage area
- Monitoring Rooms with telephone, high speed internet access, fax and copier,
- Patient Examination/ treatment Rooms
- Wheelchair accessible
- Electronic CRF Capabilities
- Coordinators with Private Offices
- High speed and wireless internet access
- On site Pharmacy and dedicated Staff
Wilson T. Burke, CCRP, CIC
Clinical Research Manager
Holy Cross Health – Research Department