Cindy Thome, RN, CCRC
Heartland Research Associates, LLC
1709 S Rock Rd
Wichita, KS 67207
Currently Enrolling Trials
Heartland Research Associates was started in 1991 by physicians Dr. Terry Poling, Dr. Terry Klein, and Dr. Thomas Klein, in their family practice in Wichita, Kansas. The first studies conducted spurred the physician’s excitement further in research; they saw direct results benefiting patients and the patients enjoyed being a part of the research process! Dr. Scott Meyers and Dr. Tracy Klein joined Heartland Research Associates in 2001. These five physicians’ decided to continue the commitment to progress patient care and revolutionize patient’s health, by conducting research trials that will improve medicines and a patient’s treatment.
Heartland Research Associates mission is to provide quality medical care to our research participants, with a commitment to accurate and precise data for our sponsors. The resulting strong relationship we have with our patients, aids in successful recruitment, compliance, and retention. This relationship has allowed Heartland Research Associates to encompass four sites, five medical directors, and over 60 employees providing high quality care to our patients while advancing medicine.
East Wichita, Kansas Location
1709 S. Rock Road
Wichita, KS 67207
West Wichita, Kansas Location
3730 N. Ridge Road, Suite 600
Wichita, KS 67205
Newton, Kansas Location
700 Medical Center Drive, Suite 210
Newton, KS 67114
Augusta, Kansas Location
1601 State Street
Augusta, KS 67010
Heartland Research Associates has conducted research trials for over 20 years in Phase I through IV trials in all areas of multispecialty research. The highly experience research investigators and staff have accomplished the following results.
- Completion of over 1000 clinical trials in multi-specialty research, resulting in an average enrollment success rate of 109%
- Consistently meet site enrollment goals before sponsors estimated recruitment dates.
- Recruitment strategies result in sites having the first patient enrolled nationally in various indications.
- Completed Phase I, Device, Biologic, and Vaccine Trials.
- Six FDA audits, due to high enrollment, resulting in no findings.
- Quality Assurance department reviews 100% of all sources for all locations
- Recipient of Best Clinical Trial Site, World Vaccine Congress 2013
Each of the four research sites has the following capabilities.
- Refrigerated Centrifuge
- 24 hour ambulatory BP monitoring equipment
- -20C Freezer
- -70C Freezer
- 2-8 Degree Refrigerator
- Dry Ice
- Full Lab Services
- Controlled secure drug storage rooms
- Dedicated monitor rooms with internet
Terry L. Poling, MD, DABFP, FAAFP, CCPI is board-certified in Family Practice and is a co-founder of HRA. Dr. Poling is an AMA delegate for Kansas, acts as Chairman and Medical Director for the Wichita Preferred Provider Association, and is a Past-President for the Kansas Medical Society. Additionally, Dr. Poling is a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Kansas School of Medicine.
Dr. Terry D. Klein, MD, DABFP, CCPI is board-certified in Family Practice and is a co-founder of HRA. Dr. Klein is a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. Additionally, Dr. Klein is a President of an IPA, and is a Past President for the Kansas Medical Society and currently holds a board position.
Dr. Thomas Klein MD, DABFP, CCPI is board-certified in Family Practice and is a co-founder of HRA. Dr. Klein is a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. Additionally, Dr. Klein is certified for full privileges in EGD's, fiber optic sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy.
Dr. Scott L. Meyers, MD, DABFP, CCPI is board-certified in Family Practice. Dr. Meyers has served as MSSC delegate to the Kansas Medical Society and is currently serving a position on the insurance committee for the County Medical Society. Additionally, Dr. Meyers serves as a Clinical Instructor at the University of Kansas School of Medicine.
Dr. Tracy R. Klein, MD, DABFP, CCPI is board-certified in Family Practice. Dr. Klein is CDE eligible, and is actively involved with an affiliated organization, Heartland Diabetes Associates, LLC.
The staff of Heartland Research Associates has over 100 years of cumulative research experience. Currently staffs over 60, Good Clinical Practice trained, full-time employees to include the following departments.
- Affiliated Investigator Specialists
- Dedicated Clinical Research Coordinators
- Patient Referral Specialists
- Regulatory Specialists
- Quality Assurance Specialists
- Data Entry Specialists
- Source Document Specialist
- Research Assistants
Certifications and Specialists:
- Alzheimer Rating Specialists
- Smoking Cessation Counselors
- Registered Dietician
- Certified Clinical Research Coordinators
- Certified Diabetes Educator
Heartland Research Associates has a research database of over 34,000 volunteers. Each family practice clinic affiliated with the research site has a database of over 20,000 patients.
- Heartland Research locations follow and maintain Standard Operation Procedures. This assures Sponsors and CROs consistency and quality of data will be optimal.
- Retention strategies support studies having average of a 91% retention rate. These strategies include patients volunteering from the investigators family practice and exceptional one-on-one care. Supporting strategies include reminder phone calls, birthday cards, and quarterly newsletters.
- Data is entered within 2-3 business days and studies are monitored regularly for queries.
- Advertising plans are created before enrollment begins. Patient Referral and Marketing Specialists create strategies that draw specific audiences to take action. Advertising efforts include email campaigns, television or radio commercials, direct mailers, and print ads.