purpose of this research study is to understand the factors (e.g., feeling
unhappy, lonely, frustrated) that influence compliance with social distancing
recommendations during the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition, this study aims to
understand how negative emotions (e.g., feeling unhappy, lonely, frustrated)
along with social distancing requirements influence family caregivers’
confidence in their ability to provide high-quality care for their relatives
with dementia during the COVID-19 pandemic.
This study will be conducted remotely. Participants will be evaluated at 3-time periods (each period will be one week), one month apart over three months. At each time period, they will answer a series of questionnaires, complete mobile assessment every day and wear a provided smartwatch.
Participants will be evaluated at 3-time periods (each period will be one week), one month apart over three months.
1. A 30 to 45-minute training session via Zoom, which is a video communication tool. In this session, a trained research assistant will teach you how to use your cell phone to answer questions and how to wear and use the provided smartwatch. You will be given the chance during this session to practice answering a survey and ask questions about phone usage and smartwatch.
2. Mobile assessment at 3-time periods (each period will be one week, one month apart over 3 months); for this mobile portion of the study, you will answer brief surveys 7 times throughout the day (one in morning, one in evening and five random times). Each time it will take approximately 5-10 minutes to complete the surveys. The random surveys will be sent to your phone at five random times throughout the day (timing will be tailored to the participant waketime and bedtime). Mobile surveys consist of brief questions about your feelings (e.g., stressed, lonely), your location, intrusive thoughts, sleep quality and items related to social distancing and social company. In addition, during this week of mobile assessment you will be asked to wear a provided smartwatch to monitor your sleep, heart rates, physical activity and location.
3. A series of online questionnaires at the beginning and end of each week of mobile assessment (it will take approximately 1hr to 1hr 30 min). This survey/questionnaire will ask about the impact of COVID-19 pandemic, social distancing behaviors, social support, caregiver burden, stress, loneliness, anxiety, depressive symptoms, romantic relationship. In addition, only in Time 1 of this study, you will be asked to complete 15-min online questionnaires every day for a week.
4. During the week of mobile assessment, you will be asked to wear the provided smartwatch most of the day, even during your sleep.
5. During the study period, you will be asked to install a phone app to your smartphone to monitor your phone usage, location, and physical activity.
All of these assessments will be conducted remotely.
Participants with below criteria will not be eligible for this study:
-The presence of psychotic symptoms (e.g., schizophrenia, bipolar disorder), physician-diagnosed substance use disorders, acute or uncontrolled medical illnesses (e.g., major surgery, metastatic cancer, Class III heart failure, and autoimmune disorders). -Participants with limited physical functioning