Analysis Shows Only 14 Percent of U.S. COVID-19 Trials Completed
A new analysis by the Clinical Trials Transformation Initiative (CTTI) shows just 14 percent of U.S. COVID-19 studies launched during the pandemic were completed. While the remaining 86 percent of trials remain active, many have either not reported results or will never be completed.
The analysis, which was based on a final cohort of 450 studies and excluded COVID-19 vaccines, found that only 61 studies with a combined 24,753 participants had reached their end state, meaning they were either completed, suspended or terminated, by the end of 2020.
The remaining 389 studies, with a combined 474,096 participants, remain active. The analysis found that results were available from 44 studies — 21 of which had reached their end state and 23 of which were still active.
CTTI found that of the 450 studies launched, 214 were being funded by the industry, but 160 had no external source of funding at all. Of the remainder, 49 had other sources of funding and 27 were funded by the NIH.
Of the 61 completed studies, 25 were funded by industry, 25 had no external source of funding, six had other sources of funding and five were financially supported by the NIH. The 389 studies still active included 189 from industry, followed by 135 with no external funding. Forty-three active studies had other sources of funding and 22 NIH studies are still continuing.
The analysis also found that a little more than half, 51.1 percent, of the 450 studies had multiple sites. Of the 160 studies that had no external source of funding, only 36, or 22.5 percent, had more than one site.
Studies of immunomodulators made up 159, or 35.3 percent, of the 450 COVID-19 studies launched during the pandemic, while 112 interventions labeled “Other” made up 24.9 percent. There were 103 antiviral studies that accounted for 22.9 percent of the total, and 52 neutralizing antibody therapy studies that made up 11.6 percent. Studies involving anti-thrombotic therapy (29 total), cell and gene therapy (25), SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibodies (19), steroids (8) and nonCOVID vaccines (2) were also launched.
According to the methodology, CTTI considered studies registered in the ClinicalTrials.gov database that were launched in 2020 and had at least one site in the U.S.