Research Center Profile:
Okanagan Clinical Trials
Nutrition and Weight Loss
Obstetrics/Gynecology (Women’s Health)
Okanagan Clinical Trials is a medical research company based in Kelowna, B.C. operating since 1992. We have conducted clinical trials on a wide range of disorders including depression, bipolar disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety, general anxiety, premenstrual dysphoria, attention deficit disorder, headaches, obesity, insomnia, diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, post herpetic neuralgia, fibromyalgia, celiac disease, opioid-induced constipation and dyslipidemia. We are well equipped to handle a variety of therapeutic areas and ages as listed above.
To achieve excellence in both the conduct of clinical trials for our clients and in the provision of compassionate and ethical care to our patients.
We have been operating since 1992 and have considerable experience conducting clinical trials. We have a psychiatric clinic, a family practitioner and collaborate with other specialists as necessary. A complete list of our trial experience is available on our website.
We have worked for Pfizer, Lundbeck, Wyeth, Janssen-Ortho, GlaxoSmithKline, Synectica, Pharmacia, Eli Lilly, Johnson and Johnson, Hoffmann-La Roche, Novartis, Berlex, Sanofi, Bristol Myers Squibb, Eli Lilly, Abbott, Labopharm, Solvay, Eisia, Alba Therapeutics, UCB, Biosante, Shering Plough, Forest, Otsuka, TauRx, Takeda and Astra Zeneca. A few of the CROs we have worked with include: Quintiles, PPD, Kendle, INC Research, Icon, Parexel, , World Wide Clinical Trials and Covance.
We occupy 3,000 square feet on the second floor of an office building that is a remodeled heritage packing house in the cultural district of Kelowna, BC. There is an elevator and we are completely wheelchair accessible. We have a self-contained lab facility. We are 5 minutes from the hospital and are in the city center. The Kelowna International Airport is 15 minutes away.
Our offices include a psychiatry clinic specializing in mood and
anxiety disorders which sees more than 500 new patients a year.
Bipolar Disorder and Attention Deficit Disorder are well
- Examining rooms
- Interview rooms
- Physician and Coordinator offices
- Work area for CRA
- Locked medication storage, temperature monitored
- Secure binder storage room
- Archival Storage (25 year)
- Fax, copier, scanner, color printer
- Computers with high-speed internet connections
- Remote data entry capable and experienced
- Temperature controlled environment
- Access to dry ice
- Local Lab
- -20° and -80° Celsius freezer
- 12 lead EKG
- Imaging available in Kelowna: CT, MRI, Bone Density (Lunar, DPX
alpha, dual photon x-ray absorptiometry), mammography
FedEx, Purolator, World Courier, DHL, and Marken
Dr. Paul Latimer, MD, PhD, FRCP(C)
Paul Latimer has more than 30 years experience in clinical
practice, research and administration. After obtaining his medical
degree from Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, he did
psychiatric training at Queen's, Oxford and Temple
Universities. After his residency he did a doctorate in medical
science at McMaster University where he was also a Medical Research
Council of Canada Scholar. Since 1983 he has been practicing
psychiatry in Kelowna, B.C. where he has held many administrative
positions and has done numerous clinical trials. He has published
many scientific papers and one book on the psychophysiology of
functional bowel disorders. He is an avid photographer, skier and
Degrees and qualifications:
- MD, - Queens University, Kingston, Ontario
- PhD, Medical Sciences, - McMaster University, Hamilton,
- FRCPC, - Fellowship in Psychiatry
- Psychiatrist, Kelowna, BC
- CEO, Okanagan Clinical Trials
- Investigator, Okanagan Clinical Trials
Previous Professional Experience:
- Assistant Professor, McMaster University
- Medical Research Council of Canada Scholar
- Associate Professor (with tenure), Temple University, PA
- Psychiatrist, private practice, Kelowna, BC
- Active hospital privileges, Kelowna General Hospital
- Chair, Department of Psychiatry, Kelowna General Hospital
- Chair of Medical Advisory Committee, Kelowna General Hospital
- President of Medical Staff, Kelowna General Hospital
- Director of Psychiatric Services, Kelowna General Hospital
- Physician Director, Central Okanagan Mental Health Program
- Psychiatry Residency, Queen's University
- Doctorate, Medical Science, McMaster University
Dr. Sally Godsell, MD
Sally Godsell had a family practice in the Okanagan from 1986-2005. She is now doing clinical research full time. She received her medical degree from the University of Ottawa and was a flight surgeon with the Canadian Air Force for several years before settling in Kelowna. She has advanced training in aviation medicine, addiction medicine, obstetrics and surgical assistance. Sally enjoys skiing, hiking, snowmobiling and anything involving time spent in the outdoors.
Degrees and qualifications:
- MD, 1978 - University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
- Flight Surgeon Diploma, 1980
- Addiction Medicine Certification, 1988
- Principal and Co-Investigator, Okanagan Clinical Trials
- Surgical assist and active privileges, Kelowna General Hospital
- Member of OR committee, Kelowna General Hospital
Previous Professional Experience:
- 1979 - 1982 - Canadian Forces Medical Officer (Captain), CFB Cold Lake, Alberta
- 1980 - 1982 - Chief Flight Surgeon, CFB Cold Lake, Alberta
- 1983 - 1986 - Fort Garry Medical Clinic, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- 1985 - 1986 - Senior Medical Consultant, Air Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- 1986 - 1993 - Associate Family Practice, Group 1 Medical, Kelowna, B.C.
- 1986 - 2001 - Chairman, Alcohol and Drug Committee, Kelowna General Hospital
- 1986 - 2001 - Regional and Sessional Physician, Alcohol and Drug programs, Kelowna
- 1988 - 2001 Lecturer, Chemical Dependency and Drug Withdrawal
- 1979 - 1986 - Aviation Medicine
- 1980 - 2001 - Addiction Medicine
- 1995, 1998 - Certification Course in Advanced Neonatal Resuscitation
- 1999 - Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics
- 1998 - Present - Advanced Laparoscopic Surgical/Assist
- Many Psychiatric Courses, Workshops and Conferences
Regulatory Liaison and Study Coordinator:
Carol is a certified clinical research professional with many years experience as a clinical research assistant and has been involved in all aspects of research coordination. She is our site’s principal regulatory liaison with sponsors and IRBs in completing study start-up documents and ongoing reporting of regulatory issues for all clinical trials conducted at our site. Carol also oversees and coordinates training of new site staff and ensures all staff are trained as per sponsor and protocol requirements. In addition to her broad experience, she has a bachelor's degree in Sociology and is proficient with many software programs and at creating and managing patient databases.
Megan has a BA in English and Professional Writing. She co-writes our weekly mental health column, coordinates advertising and website maintenance as well as media relations.
We have two full time coordinators, a research assistant and a receptionist.
Kelowna and suburbs have about 150,000 population.
We do not do inpatient studies. Come visit us on facebook here.
Check us out on twitter here.
If you are interested in contacting this center to discuss placing a clinical
trial there, please complete and send the email form below. A representative from
the research center will then follow up with you.