Nutrition and Weight Loss
Obstetrics/Gynecology (Women’s Health)
Rochester Clinical Research (RCR) is a dedicated clinical research center providing clinical research services to the pharmaceutical and medical device industries. RCR was founded in 1994 by Patricia Larrabee, RNNP with the assistance of Dr. Mervyn Weerasinghe. Ms. Larrabee continues as the Chief Executive Officer of RCR, and Dr. Weerasinghe is the Medical Director.
RCR’s experienced clinical research personnel engage the patient and their primary care physician to become informed partners in every clinical trial.
With over nineteen years of successful clinical trials experience, RCR has established a strong reputation for reliability and expertise having conducted over 500 Phase II, IIb, III, IIIb, and IV clinical studies in the therapeutic areas of:
- Bone Densitometry
- Eating Disorders
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Men’s Health
- Musculoskeletal & Connective Tissue Disorders
- Pain Management
- Smoking Cessation
- Women’s Health
- RCR provides outpatient services in a 9,600 square foot modern facility and has climate controlled secure drug storage rooms, dedicated monitor rooms with high speed broadband for RDE (remote data entry) access, and on-site long term storage.
- RCR has the ability to use a central IRB when required to
accommodate individual sponsor requirements.
- RCR maintains a Patient Tracking System. RCR staff are
experienced with RDE.
- RCR has an established Internal Audit Program to ensure
- Patient recruitment is typically achieved by the following
- Excellent community wide recruitment program
- Over 29,701 patients in RCR’s database, and over 20,000
patients in each of the referring physicians private practice
- Physician referrals from large Rheumatology, Dermatology,
Gastroenterology and Gynecology private practices
- Advertising: television, newspaper, radio, direct mail,
- Digital marketing: Google ads, Yahoo ads, Email campaign, Social media
- Periodic newsletter delivered to patient database, and
established mailing lists that are sorted by therapeutic
- Web recruitment from our website,
- Mobile site recruitment: www.rcrclinical.com
- Refrigerated Centrifuge
- 24 hour ambulatory BP monitoring equipment
- -20C° Freezer 
- -70C° Freezer 
- iDXA; Bone Density, Body Composition
- Arterial Compliance Monitor
- Cholestech Analyzer
- Phlebotomy Station
- Refrigerated Drug Storage
- Metrika Hemoglobin A1C
- Climate controlled secure drug storage rooms
- Dedicated monitor rooms with high speed broadband for remote data entry
- Easy access off major expressway for patients and sponsors
- On-site long term storage
Four  Investigators who are board certified in Internal Medicine, Rheumatology and Family Practice, with interest and expertise in multi-therapeutic areas and two  NP sub-investigators with a combined 30 years of experience in clinical research.
Mervyn Weerasinghe, MD
Internal Medicine, Medical Director and Primary Principal
Principal Investigator or Sub-Investigator on more than 325 clinical research studies with over twenty-one years experience conducting research. Dr. Weerasinghe is board certified in Internal Medicine and has extensive practice experience in a managed care setting. He was the Medical Director for an HMO for eight years, of a hospital for seven years, and of a multi-specialty group practice for 10 years. He has served as Principal Investigator or Sub-Investigator in the areas of hypertension, diabetes, obesity, hyperlipidemia, asthma, osteoarthritis, hormone replacement therapy, smoking cessation, peptic ulcer disease, and contraception.
Matthew Davis, MD
Family Practice, RCR Associate Medical Director
Principal Investigator or Sub-Investigator on more than 300 clinical research studies with over fourteen years of research experience. Dr. Davis has held the position of Chief Physician for an after hours medical care division of a Rochester health care provider. His clinical research experience includes studies in erosive esophagitis, herpes labialis, osteoarthritis/RA, sinusitis, dyspepsia, IBS, erectile dysfunction, cholesterol, diabetes, and contraceptives.
Tammi Shlotzhauer, MD
Rheumatology & Internal Medicine, Assistant Medical
Dr. Shlotzhauer is a practicing rheumatologist and the Assistant Medical Director of RCR who is board-certified in both internal medicine and rheumatology. She has been involved in over 210 clinical trials with over eleven years of research experience and has served as a consultant for protocol development. Dr. Shlotzhauer has held positions as Chief Physician of a rheumatology division at a local hospital, Medical Director of a local medical group and Chair/Advisor for a local medical group’s management and quality division. She is also a partner in a successful Rheumatology practice located in our building. Her interests include osteoporosis, OA, RA, fibromyalgia, collagen vascular disorders and pain syndromes, as well as common internal medicine diagnoses.
R. Carla Edgett, ACNP-BC
Adult (Acute Care) Nurse Practitioner, RCR Sub-investigator
R. Carla Edgett has been in the clinical field for 28 years. She has worked on and been a sub-investigator on 40+ clinical trials spanning 16 years at the University of Rochester. Her area of research involvement has primarily been focused in various cardiovascular diseases, including hypertension, heart failure, hyperlipidemia, diabetes and coronary artery disease. However, she has a general interest in all areas of clinical research and their outcomes.
Patricia Larrabee, RN, NP, CCRC
Founder and Chief Executive Officer
Ms. Larrabee, who has been extensively involved as a Sub-Investigator in over 465 clinical trials for over 32 years, founded RCR in 1994 to provide residents of the Greater Rochester area access to research studies. Her clinical experience as a researcher and lecturer on high blood pressure, as well as her relationship with local physicians in a managed care setting, provided an opportunity to conduct research with a varied patient base. RCR has conducted over 500 trials in many therapeutic areas due to Ms. Larrabee’s high-energy, compassionate and detail oriented approach to research.
- Abbott Laboratories
- Amgen Inc.
- Amylin Corporation
- Astra Merck
- Astra Pharmaceuticals
- Astra Zeneca
- Aura Laboratories, Inc.
- Bayer Corporation
- Biovail technologies Ltd.
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Byk Gulden
- Covalent Research Alliance
- Eli Lilly & Co.
- Forest Labs
- G. D. Searle Pharmaceuticals
- Genentech, Inc.
- Hoechst Marion Roussel
- Hoffman LaRoche
- Johnson & Johnson
- Knoll Pharmaceutical Company
- Merck Human Health Division
- Merck Research Laboratories
- Novo Nordisk
- Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Parke-Davis Pharmaceuticals
- Pfizer Inc.
- Pharmacia & Upjohn
- Preventive Medical Technologies
- Purdue Pharma
- Radius Health, Inc.
- R.W. Johnson Pharmaceutical Research
- Rhone-Poulenc Rorer
- Roche Laboratories
- Sankyo, USA
- Schering Plough
- Sepracor, Inc.
- Smith-Klein Beecham
- Solvay Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Takeda America, Inc.
- TAP Holdings Inc.
- Wyeth Ayerst
Contract Research Organization Sponsors
- Advanced Biologics
- Barton and Polansky
- Clinimetrics Research Associates
- ClinTrials, Inc.
- Concepts in Pharmaceutical Research
- Covalent Research Alliance, Inc.
- Global IQ
- INC Research
- Innovex, Inc.
- Integrated Research
- Kendle International
- Paragon Biomedical Inc.
- Parexel International Corporation
- Pharmaceutical C-Trials
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates
- PPD Pharmaco
- PPD Development
- Pharmakenetics, Inc.
- PharmaNet, Inc.
Rochester Clinical Research has received the TOP 100 Company Award in the Rochester Region from the Rochester Business Alliance and Chamber of Commerce for 2003, 2004 and 2009.
RCR is also a multi-year winner of the Rochester’s Choice Award, which is chosen by the residences of Rochester, as the BEST Clinical Research Site.
If you are interested in contacting this center to discuss placing a clinical
trial there, please complete and send the email form below. A representative from
the research center will then follow up with you.