Research Center Profile:
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
Nutrition and Weight Loss
Obstetrics/Gynecology (Women’s Health)
Trauma (Emergency, Injury, Surgery)
Our physicians have been conducting clinical trials for more than 25 years and have worked with all of the major pharmaceutical companies and CROs. We have experience conducting Phase II - IV trials, registry studies and investigator initiated studies in the following therapeutic areas:
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Cardiac Prevention
- Diabetes mellitus
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Otitis Media
- Pain Management
- General Pain Syndromes
- Low Back Pain
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Parkinson's Disease
- Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Bipolar Disorder
- Border Line Personality Disorder
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Renal Failure
- Reproductive Studies
- Weight Loss
We are equipped to facilitate inpatient and outpatient studies through our faculty practices and affiliated patient facilities. Over 200 Rowan SOM University Doctors serve southern New Jersey at 60 clinical offices in over 100 communities and five counties. Kennedy University Hospital is the principal hospital of the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine. Other affiliatedhospitals and health systems include Lourdes Health System, Inspira Health Network, Cooper University Hospital, Meridian Health System, Christ Hospital & Atlantic Health.
We provide care for pediatrics to geriatrics, with primary care in the departments of Gerontology, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Family Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology. We have specialists in Cardiology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Geriatrics, Geriatric Psychiatry, Migraines, Neurology, Orthopedics, Pain Management, Pediatrics, Pulmonology, Psychiatry, Adolescent Psychiatry, Sports Medicine and Surgery.
The Rowan SOM campus is just 20 minutes from Philadelphia city center and 25 minutes from the Philadelphia airport. There is easy access to Rowan SOM from I-95, I-295 and the New Jersey Turnpike.
The school has significant experience in nearly all levels of clinical research in the full breadth of therapeutic areas. As investigators and scientists, our faculty are internationally known as prominent leaders in their respective fields. As physicians, they are motivated to improve not only the general health status of our state, country and world at large, but are also dedicated to applying the best medical care to each patient. Our investigators include the following:
- Francis Levin, DO, FACEP - Chair
- Caryl J. Heaton, DO- Chair
- Joshua Coren, DO, MBA, FACOFB
- Adarsh Gupta, DO
- Katharine Garnier, MD
- Robert Hudrick, DO
- H. Timothy Dombroski, DO, MPH, FACOI, FACP - Chair
- John Chiesa, DO
- Donald McMahon, DO
- Timothy Dombrowski, DO - Chair
- Elizabeth Helfer, MD Endocrinology
- Donald Barone, DO - Neurologist - Multiple Sclerosis emphasis
- Albert Tahmoush, MD - Neurologist
New Jersey Institute for Successful Aging
- Anita Chopra, MD - Chair - Geriatrician
- Thomas Cavalieri, DO - Dean - Geriatrician
- Stephen Scheinthal, DO - Geriatric Psychiatrist
- Danielle DiGregorio, PsyD - Neuropsychologist
- Martin Forsberg, MD - Geriatric Psychiatrist
The NeuroMusculoskeletal Institute
- Richard Jermyn, DO Chair - Pain Management and Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine
- Sajid A. Surve, DO- Osteopathic Manipulation Medicine
- Deanna M. Janora, MD, FAAPMR, FABEM- Rehabilitation Medicine
- Keith Williams, MD - Chair
- Chevelta A. Bostick-Smith, CNM, MSN
- Maria Nguyen, DO, FACOOG
- Jacqueline Kaari, DO - Chair
- John O’Reardon, MD
- Narsimha Pinninti, MD
- David Rissmiller, DO
SOM clinical trial management is centralized through the Office of Clinical Trials Management (CTM), initiated in 1999. The CTM office provides the Sponsor/CRO with a single point of contact to streamline the conduct of clinical trials from inception to close-out, including, investigator support for IRB and regulatory compliance, contracts and budgets and coordinator support.
Office of Clinical Trials Management:
Christine Beswick, BA, CCRP
Program Manager, Clinical Trials Management Office
Rowan University, School of Osteopathic Medicine
42 East Laurel Rd.,Stratford, NJ
856-566-6003, Fax 856-566-2773
School of Osteopathic Medicine
Established in 1976 as the first four-year medical school in Southern New Jersey, the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (RowanSOM) is the state’s only college of osteopathic medicine. Founded as part of the former University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ), The New Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act of 2012 transferred the school and its 32-acre Stratford campus into Rowan University on July 1, 2013.
Rowan SOM is dedicated to providing excellence in medical education, research and health care for New Jersey and the nation. An emphasis on primary health care and community health services reflects the School’s osteopathic philosophy, with specialty care and centers of excellence demonstrating our commitment to innovation and quality in all endeavors. The School seeks to develop clinically skillful, compassionate, and culturally competent physicians from diverse backgrounds, who are prepared to become leaders in their communities.
Rowan SOM provides significant expertise in the following major institutes:
- The New Jersey Institute for Successful Aging recently celebrated its 25th anniversary and, over the past 13 years, has led RowanSOM to be consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the top 20 schools in America for geriatric medical education.
- The Child Abuse Research Education and Service (CARES) Institute, also celebrating its 25th anniversary, is a national leader in the development of comprehensive diagnostic and treatment programs to address both the medical and mental health needs of children experiencing abuse. The federal government has recognized the CARES treatment program as the national model for detecting and treating child victims of sexual abuse and their families.
- The NeuroMusculoskeletal Institute (NMI) uses a unique multi-disciplinary approach that includes physical medicine and rehabilitation, osteopathic manipulation, pain specialists (including a unique program for pain management in patients infected with HIV), orthopedics, and a medically-supervised gym.
Bringing approximately $13 million in research and extramural funding, including funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), into the state, Rowan SOM is a leader as compared to all U.S. osteopathic medical schools.
We serve an economically and ethnically diverse patient population from the entire state of New Jersey and parts of Pennsylvania.
Rowan - SOM utilizes the Western Institutional Review Board, for all industry sponsored clinical trials located at:
1019 39th Avenue SE
Puyallup, Washington, SE
Telephone: (800) 562-4789
For investigator-initiated studies are reviewed by University IRB at:
Office of the Institutional Review Board
40 E. Laurel Road, Suite 2305
Stratford, NJ 08084
Telephone: (856) 566-2712
The Institutional Review Board at Rowan-SOM Stratford supports research by offering regulatory and administrative assistance and training to the local investigator community.
If you are interested in contacting this center to discuss placing a clinical
trial there, please complete and send the email form below. A representative from
the research center will then follow up with you.